Adolescence can be a very difficult time, even for well-adjusted teenagers. While it is normal to experience some growing pains, depression can strike teenagers and cause chaos to their physical, emotional, and mental health. At Teen Depression, we believe that understanding the reasons or causes of depression can help you better understand teenagers and provide the support that they need.
Our Teen Treatment Center in Los Angeles has compiled some of the most common causes of teen depression. Please note that this is not necessarily a complete list and that reasons for depression can differ from one teenager to another.
- Heredity. Teens with parents or relatives with depression are more susceptible to it due to heredity factors.
- Social Anxiety. During adolescence, a teen starts to navigate society and they start to figure out where they fit in. In this day and age, popularity seems to be important for teens, both in the real world and on social media, and the lack of it can be distressing – leading to feelings of isolation and depression.
- Academic Stress. Trying to achieve academic success can cause enormous amounts of pressure on a teenager. From keeping up with school work, to living up to expectations, to fear of failure – all of these factors can lead a teenager to become stressed out and even depressed.
- Romantic Problems. During adolescence, teenagers start to navigate romance and dating, and with it, they also start to experience the complications that dating can bring. From unrequited love, to breakups, to having issues with their partner, to other dating issues – these romantic problems that teenagers go through may lead to depression.
- Sexual Orientation. At this age, teenagers start to navigate their sexuality, and for some, it isn’t always an easy process. From dealing with homophobia, to coming out to their family and friends, to dealing with societal norms when it comes to one’s gender identity, internalized homophobia – a teenager dealing with or trying to figure out their sexual orientation may become depressed due to a lack of acceptance.
Depression is a serious mental health concern. If you suspect that a teenager is suffering from depression, encouraging them to seek professional help is the best course of action through Teen Depression Treatment in Los Angeles, California. At Teen Depression, we treat teens with depression and help them overcome the problems that they are facing.